Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Tuesday Try A New Taste - Homemade Hamburger Helper

This is a recipe I've had for years. When I was very young (oh, let's 25ish years ago...) I lived next door to a lady who had three little kids (I had two toddlers at the time), and spent a bit of time over there while the kidlets played.
One day she was making dinner for her kids and it smelled goooooood. Boy was I surprised when I found out what the ingredients were, and how simple it was to make! Now the ingredient list sounds horrible when combined, but lemme tell ya, it tastes as good as it smells! Actaully, thinking about it has given me a taste for it - I may make it for dinner :)

SO, for your eating pleasure (if you're not skeered) I give you (Cheap) Homemade Hamburger Helper:

  • 1 box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
  • 1 can of Pork & Beans (any brand works, so just use whichever you usually buy)
  • 1 1/2 lb of lean hamburger (you can use regular hamburger, but you'll need to drain it)
  • Whatever seasonings you have handy, and like. What I usually use is:
  • garlic salt
  • Seasoned salt
  • seasoned pepper
  • lemon pepper
  • paprika
  • pepper
  • diced onion

but use whatever is close at hand, there is no actual preferred seasoning for this :)

In a large skillet, brown the hamburger, seasoning with what you have chosen to flavor it with (if you chose to use the diced onions, be sure to add to hamburger when you start it, so it has plenty of time to flavor the meat). While the meat is cooking, put a pan of water on to boil for the mac & cheese. Open the pork & beans. At this point I usually remove the fat or whatever it is that's floating in the pork & beans, and I drain the excess sauce from the can. This is a matter of personal preference, 'cuz I don't like "soupy" hamburger dishes. If you really like pork & beans, you might consider keeping the excess sauce. The water should be boiling about now, so add the macaroni, and a small amount of olive oil or butter to keep it from boiling over. When the hamburger is cooked completely, add the pork & beans and mix thoroughly (remember to drain the meat first if you don't use the lean). This should be allowed to simmer at least 5 minutes, longer won't hurt, but less time the flavor isn't as good. By this time the macaroni should be done, so drain, and mix up according to the box directions or however you usually make it (I never use as much milk as the directions say - that soupy thing again!). Once you have "macaroni & cheese" add this top the hamburger/bean mixture & mix completely. It's ready! Very easy, and you can feed a family of four for about $6 or $7.

***I do magic whenever I get the opportunity, and I create opportunities whenever I can :) Any time I cook, if there is stirring/mixing involved, I focus on whatever I am stirring, and, making sure to stir in a clockwise direction, repeat the following litany:

"Love, Health, Happiness, Prosperity,
Harmony, Contentment, Protection"

I repeat, trying to use a factor of 3 (3 times, 6 times, 9 times, etc.). By doing this, I am charging the food with these energies, and in turn they are passed to all who eat it. I'm not saying you have to do this, just that I do.

Enjoy!

:)

Disclaimer: No one involved in this blog or its contents may be held responsible for any adverse reactions arising from following any of the instructions/recipes on this list. It is the reader's personal responsibility to exercise all precautions and use his or her own discretion if following any instructions or advice from this blog.

No comments: